Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Target Employees Behaving Badly...Even on Facebook

On November 29, 2011, Michelle Hickman was harassed by Target staff for breastfeeding her baby. When she called corporate to complain, she was harassed by the woman on the phone and her supervisor. This is not the first time Target has behaved badly toward breastfeeding mothers. The same thing happened in 2006 and 2009.

What does Target's policy say on the matter?
 "Target has a long-standing practice that supports breastfeeding in our stores. We apologize for any inconvenience the guest experienced and will take this opportunity to reaffirm this commitment with our team members. For guests in our stores, we support the use of fitting rooms for women who wish to breastfeed their babies, even if others are waiting to use the fitting rooms. In addition, guests who choose to breastfeed discreetly in more public areas of the store are welcome to do so without being made to feel uncomfortable."
Personally, I feel the use of the word "discreet" speaks volumes about how they really feel, but I digress.

I understand that there will always be stupid employees, especially in such a large company, however THREE incidents tells me there is a serious lack of employee training. And seriously, CORPORATE?! Of all the people to know better!

I decided to head over to Target's facebook page and leave a little comment:


As I poked around in the wall posts, looking for other posts on the subject, I noticed something:




Same woman leaving nearly the same comment on three different threads. At the time I just figured she was a prude. I hear the same sentiment quite often, "I breastfed, but I had the decency to do it in private!" or something to that effect. However I noticed she was popping up on other threads too...basically anytime anyone had anything negative to say about Target.






And her comments get snarkier:





Ok so does she just like to defend Target or are they signing her paychecks?



So she works for the "head office"?

Mole or troll??? I'll let you decide.

Personally, I think the profile is fake. The picture looks like something would come in a frame from the store (maybe from Target?), and she appears to have zero friends, one "like" (Target), and no other pictures.

If she is actually an employee, I think it speaks volumes that another Target employee (presumably corporate) thinks it's cool to insult breastfeeding mothers.


So are we actually to believe Target supports breastfeeding?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment